Day Hike through Shivapuri National Park is a fabulous choice for travelers wishing to pack together an extra day not very far away from Kathmandu. This one-day trip is an excellent opportunity to visit the second highest point lying within the Kathmandu valley. Lying at an elevation of 2563m, Shivapuri is the second highest peak among other hills that are present in the valley capital city. On this excellent trip, you will be able to witness the natural beauty of the area’s verdant neighborhood. Hiking up to Shivapuri is a short and easy adventure near the capital town. The National Park at Shivapuri is the closest one from the capital and it offers superb Himalayan views of Rolwaling, Ganesh Himal, Langtang Lirung, Dorje Lakpa and others.
The spectacular day hike through Shivapuri National Park begins with a short drive of 30 minutes from your hotel to Budhanilkantha. A temple in Budhanilkantha is very famous for the pond with huge statue of Lord Vishnu in the sleeping posture. From here, the vehicle will drop you nearby the premises of the gates of Shivapuri National Park. After purchasing entrance tickets at the gate, you will begin hiking through the forested area climbing the stone steps. Nagi Gumpa, where only nuns practice Buddhism, is a place to stop and relax for a while. Some foreigners can be seen meditating here at the monastery.
Continuing on a steep trail after spending some time at the monastery, you will reach Baghdwar before finally reaching the Shivapuri peak. Baghdwar is believed to be the source of the holy Bagmati River. From the peak, hikers can enjoy the beauty of the snowy Himalayas namely Ganesh Himal and Langtang peaks. The easy hike also involves passing through the Shivapuri Conservation Area which is a fortunate thing for nature lovers. The day hike through Shivapuri National Park comes to an end after a downhill hike to Sundarijal. From here travelers will be driven on a private vehicle to Kathmandu.
• Moderate woodland hike to the second highest point within the Kathmandu valley
• Day trip from the capital city to two interesting Hindu and Buddhist religious sites
• Visit Budhanilkantha, the sacred site of Lord Vishnu sleeping in a bed of serpents in the middle of a pond
• Hike up to Nagi Gumpa through the Shivapuri National Park following a hidden path
• Enjoy the gorgeous views of the Kathmandu valley from the monastery
• Savor the magnificent mountain viees
• End the trip on a local market in Sundarijal
Join Our Small Group DeparturesView Available Dates